Pledge to Be Spartan Green
At Michigan State University, green is more than a school color. Spartans inspire and influence change on campus that resonates around the world. Take the pledge and commit to Being Spartan Green at MSU and beyond by:
- Saving energy
- Recycling and reducing waste
- Using water efficiently
- Protecting green space
- Utilizing environmentally-friendly modes of transportation
- Dining sustainably
By agreeing to the statement below and filling out the brief form, you will receive the monthly Sustainability newsletter and information about special events.
Be Spartan Green Pledge
I pledge to Become Spartan Green by conserving energy and water, reducing landfill waste and encouraging others around me to do the same during our time at Michigan State University and beyond.
How you can Be Spartan Green
- Turn off the lights and electronics when you leave your room.
- Use cold water, or the “Bright Colors” setting, to wash your clothes and save energy.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator to get exercise and save energy.
- Unplug electronic devices, such as laptops and phone chargers, when not in use to avoid phantom power.
- Recycle in your residence hall and around campus to reduce solid waste.
- Compost organic material when services are available.
- Carry a reusable mug or water bottle to help reduce the amount of waste on campus.
- Drop off your unwanted saleable items to the Surplus Store.
- Take shorter showers to save water and energy.
- Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth, shaving or washing dishes.
- Report running toilets and dripping faucets or showerheads to facilities staff.
- Walk, ride a bike or take the bus when traveling across campus to save time, money and the hassle of finding a parking spot.
- When traveling off campus, consider carpooling/ridesharing.
- When dining on campus, consider going trayless to conserve energy and water.
- After each meal, ask yourself why you have leftover food and consider making different decisions next time.
- Ask for a sample before taking an entire serving of food, to ensure that you like the dish.
- Purchase fresh produce at the Student Organic Farm Stand, open every Thursday, April through October.