Be Spartan Green Student Project Fund
As a major research university, MSU is committed to furthering knowledge and improving life for present and future generations through the convention of research. The Be Spartan Green Student Project Fund provides financial support for students exploring solutions to our most pressing sustainability challenges at MSU.
MSU Sustainability is now accepting grant proposals for the 2016-17 academic year. A maximum of $5,000 is available for each project and proposals are accepted on a rolling basis.
Successful proposals will use the campus as a laboratory to investigate solutions for pressing sustainability issues. These include but are not limited to:
- Reducing energy use on campus or in residence halls through more efficient energy technologies or practices
- Reducing waste generation and increasing reuse and recycling
- Addressing critical environmental and ecosystem challenges, including climate change
- Increasing water conservation and management, both indoors and outdoors
- Advancing sustainable approaches to food, housing, health and transportation
- Increasing awareness of sustainability on campus through education and engagement
Who can apply?
MSU undergraduate students, graduate students and student organizations in good standing are eligible to apply for the Be Spartan Green Student Project Fund. Class projects are also eligible for funding provided that students have a faculty or staff sponsor for the full calendar year.
- Projects must address a sustainability issue on MSU’s campus.
- Proposals should clearly state how the project will impact campus.
- Applicants must have a staff or faculty sponsor.
- The project budget cannot exceed $5,000.
Proposals selected in the fall semester will be funded in the early spring. Projects should be approximately one year or less in duration. If a project goes beyond one year, the student or group will be required to submit an interim report at the end of the funding period and request an extension. Extensions are not guaranteed, nor are they recommended.
- Funding process
- How to apply
- 2015-16 project funding
- Preliminary Proposal Application (PDF)
- Student fund budget worksheet (xlsx)
- Project brief template (docx)
- PowerPoint presentation templates
For more information, contact Sustainability at email@example.com or call (517) 355-1751.