Spartan Green Certification
Michigan State University’s Spartan Green Certification is an online self-assessment program that educates, assists and recognizes units taking steps towards:
- Energy efficiency and conservation
- Waste reduction and recycling
- Water conservation
- Sustainable purchasing practices
The program is managed by MSU’s Sustainability department and offers certification opportunities for MSU offices, information-technology spaces, science laboratories, kitchens and MSU Extension spaces. Units that operate in spaces with multiple functions should complete applications for each applicable area.
Spartan Green Certification has three levels of achievement and spaces must pass each level in succession in order to advance to the next level. The three levels of certification are:
- Bronze Certification is the most basic level of achievement, where questions are non-category specific and inquire about general sustainability in your space.
- Silver Certification is an intermediate level of achievement with category-specific questions.
- Gold Certification is the highest level of achievement. To achieve Gold Certification, units must demonstrate a sustainability initiative or project that goes above and beyond the requirements of Bronze and Silver Certifications.
The 2017-19 certification application is now open. Apply now.
Previous and current certified spaces:
- 2015-16 certified spaces: expire in October 2018
- 2014-15 certified spaces: expire in October 2017
- 2013-14 certified spaces (PDF): expire in October 2016