Why was the Spartan Green Certification program updated?
The application and program parameters were updated to more accurately assess applicants.
What should I do if an item is not applicable to my space?
If you see a statement that is not applicable to your space, select “N/A” from the options and offer an explanation as to why it does not apply. This statement will not be counted towards the total application score.
What should I do if my space does not fit one of the categories?
If you believe that your space does not fit in one of the designated categories, please contact the MSU Sustainability department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (517) 355-1751.
How long is my certification good for?
Certification is valid for two years (the year you receive your certification and the following year). You will have to reapply for certification when your certification expires.
You are not guaranteed the same certification level as previous years.
What are the certification periods?
2016-17 certifed spaces: expire in April 2019
This is the most recent certification period, which will extend from April 2017 - April 2019. Applications for this certification period are now closed.
2015-16 certified spaces: expire in April 2018
This certification period extends from April 2016 - April 2018.
2014-15 certified spaces: expire in April 2017
This certification period will be expiring in April. These spaces were certified from April 2015 - April 2017.
2013-14 certified spaces: expired in April 2016
This certification period is now expired.
Where can I see previously certified spaces?
What are some project ideas for Gold Certification?
- Start a monthly sustainability group with other departments in your building
- Develop a written sustainability guide for your workspace or department
- Include sustainability news, information or tips in department newsletters
- Dedicate a common area for shared kitchen appliances
- Increase use of green chemistry methods
- Eliminate single-serve bottled water use
- Host a group activity focused around sustainability
- Install a system to manage cool supply air and warm exhaust air in server spaces
- Become a zero-waste space by reusing and recycling all materials
- Create an “in-house” composting program to reduce food waste
If you need more suggestions, contact us at email@example.com or (517) 355-1751.
- MSU Surplus Store and Recycling Center: (517) 355- 1723
- Infrastructure Planning and Facilities: (517) 353-1760
- Residential and Hospitality Services (RHS): (517) 355-7457
- RHS Sustainability Office – (517) 884-0626
- RHS Information Services – (517) 353-1694
Seal usage guidelines
The Spartan Green Certification seal may not be altered in any way except to be enlarged or reduced proportionally. Certified units may use the seal on websites or communication and recruitment materials to show their commitment to environmental stewardship.
If you have earned certification but have not received the seal graphic, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (517) 355-1751.